Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Leave Paula Alone?

Paula Deen has her detractors, but she has at least one fan.

A Springfield, Illinois woman wants us all to leave Paula alone. Well, good luck with that.

In case you've never heard of her, Paula Deen is a Southern cook who has written some cookbooks and had her own show--several shows, actually--on the Food Network. Nearly all of her recipes involve butter, butter, and more butter. Some of them involve meat or flour and sugar.

Fat, carbs and calories are the running themes in her recipes.

Someone pushing that type of cuisine would naturally stir up some detractors, but Paula Deen has now given the naysayers even more reason to criticize her. She recently announced that she's a Type 2 diabetic and has been for, oh, three years.

She also announced that Novo Nordisk has hired her to endorse a new diabetes management drug. I'm sure it's all a coincidence.

Now, I've never made any secret of the fact that I'm also a Type 2 diabetic (see The Diabetic and the Dilly Bar). But I control my blood sugar with diet and exercise. Nobody has called to ask for an endorsement, although I walk and run in New Balance shoes and drink GeniSoy soy protein shakes (soy protein helps prevent kidney problems) and use Nautilus exercise machines. That's okay, because I really don't want to be the guy who pushes people to exercise or eat a certain way.

That's Paula's job. She's always very entertaining, even when she's answering those detractors I mentioned earlier. When she's been criticized in the past for the dishes she pushes on her show, she has used the following dodge: "I'm your cook. I'm not your doctor."

Soon, however, she will be appearing in TV commercials promoting a diabetes drug. I hope the people who see those commercials will remember that Paula is a cook instead of a doctor. I hope they'll realize there are other ways to manage diabetes than to get the Paula Deen drug.

Leave Paula alone? Probably not, but I will continue leaving her recipes alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment